The Braves will wrap up a nine-game trip against the Orioles.
The Atlanta Braves will head to Baltimore Friday where they will begin a three-game series against the struggling Orioles. The Braves have won the first six games of their nine-game road trip and will now face the Orioles who have lost 15-straight games. Atlanta’s surge has come at an opportune time. They are nine games over .500 and have opened up a four-game lead in the NL East standings over the Phillies who were swept in Arizona. Philadelphia will head to San Diego for the weekend while the Mets are in Los Angeles facing the Dodgers. The Braves, who have a pair of west coast trips remaining on their schedule, need to build as big of a cushion as they can for the stretch run.
More Braves News
- In Thursday’s Starting Nine, Cory McCartney takes a closer look at Atlanta’s infield group that closing in on franchise and MLB history with their recent power surge.
- Dansby Swanson has made a significant turnaround from early season struggles and the results have been pretty amazing.
- In this week’s mailbag, I discussed the Braves’ rotation, what the 2022 outfield might look like, Will Smith’s hold on the closer spot and plenty more.
- The Braves have four prospects in MLB Pipeline’s updated Top 100 list.
- Diamondbacks left-hander Caleb Smith was ejected in the eighth inning of Wednesday’s win over the Phillies after umpires said they found a foreign substance on his glove. Smith maintained that the substance was a combination of dirt and resin which wouldn’t be illegal. By rule, Smith would be facing a 10-game suspension.
- The Milwaukee Brewers placed right-hander Freddy Peralta on the 10-day injured list Thursday due to inflammation in his throwing shoulder.
- The St. Louis Cardinals and veteran catcher Yadier Molina are reportedly in talks on a one-year contract extension. Molina is hitting .256/.303/.378 with eight home runs so far this season.
- Finally, reliever Nate Jones announced his retirement. Jones began the season with the Braves but struggled and was released. He spent a brief stretch with the Dodgers before that ended too in him being released.